Monday, August 13, 2007

Winding hills, Wrong directions, and Medical attention

How's it going -

Today was fun. It was a good mix of humor, fun, nervousness and excitement. The day started out late. For me anyways. I didn't get up until 11 o'clock 11:30ish. Dan was up early I heard as he was on the phone with people and doing some business for the trip. 6 days left including today. They can't believe how fast the trip has gone and they are all looking foreward to sleeping in their own beds for a change. We left between 12 and 1pm-ish to do our daily skate. We drove out into the middle of nowehere. Myself, Dan, Carson, and Sean got out - laced up our skates - and started skating. We had the cars go ahead a couple miles and we would meet them there to take a brief break to allow us time to hydrate ourselves and give our legs a rest. We did this numerous times........

When I stopped skating - 10 miles or so later, I joined Amber and Vicki in the van and rode with them for what we thought would only be alittle while. Elaine drove the Subaru ahead of us. We guessed wrong on how long we would be driving. We talked to Streich at one stopping point and apparently there was a miscommunication of where they [the skaters] were supposed to turn off to meet us. So when we turned off on the road to where Kelly, Sean, Orto, and Carson were to meet us Vicki, Elaine, and Amber all went out for a short skate. And Vicki tackled her first real hill on rollerblades. So congratulations to her:) They returned and we still had not heard from any of the four main skaters. So we went out looking for them. It wasnt until one of the skater's cellular phones rang in the back of the van that we had our first clue of where they were. Apparently, Orto and Kelly both fell. Orto fell into a tree and Kelly slid down a hill. Medical attention was administered and both are doing fine now.

After we recieved the phone call, we took down the address of where they were, punched it into "Jim" the GPS system and expected him to guide us there. Well - it guided us to the middle of nowhere. This scenic path outside of town. We called back the number at which we were called from and then spoke to someone (I don't know who because Vicki did the talking). We got the correct address and went out looking for it - without the use of the GPS system. We pulled up to a complex on the main road to find Streich waving us to the driveway and two skaters laying on the front lawn. From this point we took a couple of minutes to gather ourselves before heading for gas and then to our place to stay for the night. A beachouse in Milford, CT. Thank you to Dan's aunt for allowing us to stay at their place. A couple of us went to the beach. We had a BBQ with burgers, corn and such. All the food was good.

Today was my last day on the trip. It has been a good time. The memories last. And so will the friendships. I have a big travel day tomorrow before I have to work tomorrow night so I'm going to go to bed.

Take care,
Jamie C

3 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Congrats to Vicki on your first hill. As the only real non skater on the team I give you credit for getting out there and skating for the cause. I hope Orto and Kelly are ok. Jamie, it was such a pleasure meeting you. I'm sorry you won't be in Boston when I come up next weekend. I hope I get the chance to see you again at some point. My house is so quiet since you have left, I miss the excitement! See you next weekend for THE FINISH LINE!!!!

Anonymous said...

It has been a long while since I read this blog and it is making me feel nostaligic: ) What a great trip and a great group of people and I am honored that I was able to come along for the journey. Dan, Orto, Carson, Streich, Jaimie, Amber, Elaine you guys rule.


And thank you Linda!! a little delayed : )

Anonymous said...

and I hope I can take part in more ADK charity events in the future!!